Post-mortems to take place after five boys killed in crash on wrong side of motorway
Post Mortems to Take Place After Five Boys Killed in Wrong-Way Motorway Crash
Ninoda.com – Post mortems to take place after five teenage boys were killed in a head-on collision on the M9 motorway in County Kildare, Ireland. The crash occurred at approximately 03:00 local time on Sunday, when a car carrying the teenagers was travelling southbound on the northbound carriageway and struck another vehicle head-on. Post mortem examinations of the five deceased boys are scheduled to be carried out in the coming days to establish the precise cause of death and to support the ongoing Gardaí investigation into the circumstances of the crash.
Crash Details and Immediate Response
The collision took place between Junction 3 and Junction 4 of the M9 Northbound at Moone. Gardaí confirmed that no police pursuit was underway before the impact occurred. Forensic investigators completed their examination of the scene in the hours following the crash, gathering evidence that will feed into both the post mortem process and the broader criminal investigation. Three women — two in their 30s and one in her 20s — along with a child in the second vehicle were transported to hospital with serious injuries. Gardaí have issued a public appeal asking witnesses, or anyone who was driving on that stretch of the motorway at the time, to come forward with information that may assist the inquiry.
Official Reactions and Community Response
Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly described the crash as a "horrific incident" caused by "irresponsible and dangerous driving." He noted that the injured occupants of the second car were "family members" who were "travelling innocently" when struck by the vehicle driving on the wrong side of the motorway. Kelly also criticised the growing trend of drivers using motorways for social media content, stating: "What makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social media likes regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have on innocent people and themselves." He added that police "do what they can to stop such vehicles while also taking into consideration all other road users" and that Gardaí are "put in a really challenging situation dealing with such incidents."
Councillor Ivan Keatley of Fine Gael said the alarm was raised by a motorist who "came upon the horrific scene" and that emergency services attended "almost immediately." Describing the wreckage as visible from the local motorway bridge, he said it was "very, very obvious" from the scene that the accident was extremely serious. Keatley added that he believed the family in the second car had been en route to the airport to begin a holiday. "Horrific is the only way that could describe the condition that the two cars were left in," he told BBC NI's Good Morning Ulster programme. He said the initial shock had grown into "an almost sense of anger that this could be allowed to happen" and offered his thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims.
Sinn Féin TD Shónagh Ní Raghallaigh, representing Kildare South, called the scenes "absolutely catastrophic." She said: "This loss of life is colossal and the effect those losses will have on their friends and families is incalculable." Her remarks underscored the scale of grief now facing five families and the wider Kildare community in the aftermath of the crash.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where exactly did the crash occur? The collision happened on the M9 Northbound between Junction 3 and Junction 4 at Moone, County Kildare, at approximately 03:00 on Sunday.
What is the status of the post mortems to take place? Post mortem examinations of the five deceased teenagers are scheduled to be carried out. These examinations will determine the precise cause of death and will form part of the evidentiary record for the Gardaí investigation.
Are Gardaí seeking witnesses? Yes. Gardaí have issued a public appeal asking anyone who was driving on that section of the M9 at the time, or who saw the crash or its immediate aftermath, to contact them with any information.
Was a police pursuit involved in the crash? Gardaí have confirmed that no pursuit was taking place before the collision occurred.
What happened to the occupants of the second vehicle? Three women (two in their 30s, one in her 20s) and a child were taken to hospital with serious injuries. Local officials are hoping all injured parties recover.