Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK
Sussex Couple Set to Relocate to London Area
Ninoda.com – Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are preparing to abandon their California base and return to British soil later this month, according to BBC News reporting. The pair will settle at a private residence outside London — one that carries no royal designation whatsoever.
Children Head to School in September
Their two children, Prince Archie (seven) and Princess Lilibet (five), have already been registered at a British school, with classes commencing in September. The educational arrangement was a central factor in the couple's decision to uproot their lives in the United States.
Royal Family Informed
King Charles received notice of the relocation on Sunday. Palace sources confirm he had no knowledge of the plan before that weekend, though he is said to welcome the prospect of spending more time with his grandchildren in a purely personal setting. Prince William and Princess Catherine were likewise briefed on the couple's intentions.
Crucially, neither Harry nor Meghan intends to reclaim any working-royal duties. Their official standing will remain unchanged: they continue to exist as private citizens within the broader family structure.
A Fractured Relationship Since 2020
The Sussexes departed the UK and stepped away from royal obligations in early 2020. Tensions within the family deepened considerably over the intervening years. Their July visit to the King and Queen Camilla at Highgrove, the monarch's private Gloucestershire estate, marked a notable thaw. The Palace characterised that gathering as a "private family occasion" — and it represented the first occasion in over four years that the King had seen his grandchildren face to face.
Notably, the relocation was not on the agenda during that July encounter. The couple had not set foot in Britain together since attending Queen Elizabeth II's funeral in 2022.
Security: A Persistent Flashpoint
Police protection for the duke has long generated friction. His July trip was itself reconsidered after his request for a police detail was turned down. In the preceding year, Harry lost a court challenge aimed at restoring the level of protection he and his family had previously received. He had sought to reverse a decision that downgraded his security rating following his departure from working-royal status and his move across the Atlantic.
Following the announcement of the return, a Home Office spokesperson stated that royal security determinations rest with the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec), and that the government's protective framework is "rigorous and proportionate."
Harry himself had earlier told reporters that anxieties over personal safety had deterred him from travelling to Britain with his wife and children.
Invictus Games and a Courtroom Setback
During his July stay, the duke used the occasion to publicise the Invictus Games, an annual sporting event for wounded and injured service personnel, which will be staged in Birmingham next year. David Wiseman, chief programmes and strategy officer at the Invictus Games Foundation, reacted to the relocation news:
"I will be really pleased to have him back in the country. Moving is stressful for anyone so I hope it all goes well and the children settle well at school."
He described the prospect of Harry being present in Britain for the Birmingham event as "excellent news."
The July visit nonetheless carried a darker undercurrent. It coincided with the duke's defeat at the High Court in a privacy action against Associated Newspapers, the publisher behind the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday. Harry and several other public figures alleged the newspaper group employed unlawful techniques to obtain material for its stories — claims Associated Newspapers denied strenuously. Speaking to the court in January, the duke voiced his frustration at sustained press intrusion into his marriage:
"They've made my wife's life an absolute misery."
Related Reading
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Prince Harry and Meghan moving back?Prince Harry and Meghan moving back is the main topic of this guide. The article explains the context, practical details, and next steps readers should understand.
Why does Prince Harry and Meghan moving back matter?Prince Harry and Meghan moving back matters because readers are looking for a useful answer, not just a short summary. Good content should match search intent and help them decide what to do next.