Temporary ban on sale of disposable BBQs over wildfire risk
Government Issues Temporary Ban on Sale of Disposable BBQs Amid Wildfire Concerns
Ninoda.com – The government has issued a temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues as they pose a "significant risk to the public" during the current drought and heatwave conditions, according to advice published online. The Department for Business, Innovation, Science and Trade said the product has been the cause of "a number of serious wildfires across the country over the summer months". It added disposable barbecues "cannot be considered a safe product" in the current conditions and they "must not be made available for sale either in store or online at the current time" in Great Britain.
Prime Minister Warns of Tinderbox Conditions
Prime Minister Andy Burnham advised people to take care, telling the BBC: "Britain is a tinderbox right now." Burnham said all retailers will be receiving guidance about the change, which will be kept under review. Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live's Matt Chorley, the prime minister said: "We've got 37 fires across England and Wales right now, four of them are major incidents."
"Britain is a tinderbox right now. Setting a fire in any outdoor setting of any kind is a risk to other people's homes, it's a risk to other people's lives, don't do it, please don't do it."
Burnham said they were not all linked to disposable barbecues but "it's probable that some of them have been caused in that way". He added: "We're going into a difficult weekend, please just think about the situation that we're in."
The prospect of a temporary ban on sale of disposable BBQs was discussed at an emergency Cobra meeting on Wednesday. A number of large retailers and supermarkets had already voluntarily stopped selling the devices under a framework, agreed in 2023 between fire chiefs and the British Retail Consortium.
This said that retailers should suspend sales once an extreme heat event has been declared as imminent, or in response to "reasonable, evidence based" requests from local councils. The government's decision comes as temperatures continue to soar across the UK, with many areas experiencing their hottest weather in recent years. Fire services have been working around the clock to contain blazes, while meteorologists warn that conditions could remain dry for some time to come.
What You Need to Know About the BBQ Ban
The temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues affects both physical stores and online retailers across Great Britain. Consumers who have already purchased disposable BBQs can still use them safely, but should exercise extra caution when lighting them. The ban is expected to remain in place until conditions improve, though the government has stated it will be kept under regular review.
For more information on the ban and related safety advice, visit BBC News UK or BBC Weather.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long will the temporary ban on sale of disposable BBQs last? A: The government has not specified an exact end date. The ban will remain in place until conditions improve and will be kept under regular review by officials.
Q: Does the ban apply to all types of disposable barbecues? A: Yes, the ban covers all disposable barbecue products available for sale in stores and online across Great Britain.
Q: Can I still use my disposable BBQ if I've already bought one? A: Yes, you can continue to use disposable barbecues you have already purchased. However, you should exercise extra caution and follow safety guidelines when using them during hot, dry weather.
Q: Which retailers are affected by the ban? A: All retailers selling disposable barbecues, including large supermarkets and smaller shops, are required to comply with the temporary ban on sale of disposable BBQs.
Q: What should I do if I see a fire caused by a disposable BBQ? A: Call 999 immediately if you spot a fire. If it is safe to do so, you can help contain small fires using water or sand, but always prioritize your safety and that of others.