Ninoda
Fast mobile article powered by Nexiamath-SEO AMP.
AMP Article

Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran issue

Published August 18, 2026 · Updated August 18, 2026 · By Elizabeth Martinez - ninoda.com

Foto : Elizabeth Martinez - ninoda.com

Trump Threatens to Bomb US Ally Oman

Ninoda.com – In a startling escalation of rhetoric, Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if the Gulf state "gets in the way" of Washington's own backchannel talks with Iran, according to a Fox News phone interview. The remark, delivered with an expletive, landed just hours after Iranian officials announced they were close to finalising a transit agreement with Muscat to reopen the Strait of Hormuz — a waterway that has been largely shut for nearly six months amid the US-Iran war.

The Threat and the Hormuz Crisis

Since the joint US-Israeli strikes on Iran began in February, Tehran has effectively blocked the strait, through which roughly one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments normally flow. Reopening that corridor has become the central economic question of the conflict. Oman, which borders the strait's southern shore and has maintained a declared position of neutrality, has nonetheless absorbed a series of Iranian strikes while simultaneously serving as a key mediator between Washington and Tehran.

Fox reporter Trey Yingst quoted the president as saying: "If Oman gets in the way, we'll bomb the shit out of them." In the same interview, Trump claimed the United States maintained a direct backchannel with Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), a body that wields enormous military, economic, and political influence inside the country.

Tehran's Denial and the Expiring MoU

An IRGC spokesman quickly rejected the claim. Speaking to semi-official Tasnim News Agency, he stated: "There are no talks taking place between IRGC officials and the Americans, and this lie by Trump is merely fantasies caused by the delusions and nightmares he has suffered as a result of defeat and desperation in the war."

The diplomatic clock is also running down. A 60-day Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed on 18 June was meant to secure a ceasefire and at least partially reopen the strait, but both sides resumed strikes shortly after. On 8 July, Trump declared the ceasefire "over," branding Iran's leadership "scum" and "cuckoo" after renewed exchanges of fire. As the MoU neared its formal expiry, he posted on Truth Social: "The number one goal is, and always will be, that Iran cannot have, in any way, shape, or form, a nuclear weapon."

Oman's foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei told reporters that "an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route," with both sides expected to finalise details before issuing a joint statement. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi added earlier this month that a full reopening hinges on Tehran receiving compensation from Washington for what it describes as violations of the MoU. Reuters, citing an unnamed Iranian official, reported that Tehran is seeking transit fees of between 5 per cent and 7 per cent of cargo value from vessels passing through the strait.

"They're good poker players, but they're dying. I have no time schedule. I'm not in a hurry," Trump told Fox, dismissing any pressure to end the war quickly.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is Trump threatening to bomb a US ally? The president framed Oman's parallel negotiations with Iran as potentially obstructing Washington's own track. His comment, made during a Fox News phone interview, was an explicit warning that the US would use force if Muscat's mediation interfered with American objectives in the Strait of Hormuz.

What role does Oman play in the Hormuz dispute? Oman borders the southern side of the strait and has positioned itself as a neutral mediator. Despite absorbing Iranian strikes, it has been negotiating directly with Tehran on transit-route maps and compensation terms, while Washington pursues its own separate channel.

Is the US-Iran ceasefire still in effect? The 60-day MoU signed on 18 June has effectively collapsed. Both sides resumed strikes within weeks, and Trump publicly declared the ceasefire "over" on 8 July. The instrument was set to expire formally on Monday, leaving no binding framework in place.

What did the IRGC say about Trump's backchannel claim? An IRGC spokesman told Tasnim News Agency that no talks exist between IRGC officials and Americans, calling the president's statement "lies" born of "defeat and desperation in the war."

Related Reading