‘Missing’ Baptiste jailed in Morocco for sexual assault
England Sprint Coach Leon Baptiste Serving Moroccan Prison Term After Sexual Assault Conviction
Ninoda.com – Leon Baptiste, the English athletics coach and former Olympic-level sprinter who had been guiding Britain's elite track athletes ahead of this summer's major championships, is currently behind bars in Morocco following a conviction for sexually assaulting a minor, BBC Sport has learned.
The revelation comes after Baptiste vanished from public view more than three months ago, leaving his athletes, his employer UK Athletics, and the wider British track community in complete uncertainty about his whereabouts.
A Career Built on Commonwealth Gold
Baptiste, now 41, earned two gold medals at the 2010 Commonwealth Games — in the 200 metres and the 4×100 m relay — before knee problems forced his retirement from competition at just 28. He transitioned into coaching and, in 2023, was named England athletics coach of the year at the Sporting Equals awards. By the time of his disappearance, he was serving as a consultant sprinting coach for UK Athletics and personally training a group of top British track athletes.
The Vanishing and the Resignation
In May, Baptiste sent his athletes a brief note stating he would be away from training "for a while." No further explanation followed. Weeks passed without contact. Then, over the weekend, media outlets began reporting that he was "missing," having allegedly disappeared in Morocco.
On Tuesday, a short email arrived on his behalf from the former 200 m Commonwealth gold medallist. In it, he formally resigned from his coaching role, attributing the departure to unspecified ill health.
Moroccan Authorities Confirm the Conviction
A source within the Moroccan Ministry of Justice told BBC Sport that Baptiste was arrested in Marrakech in May, subsequently found guilty, and is now serving a custodial sentence at Al-Oudaya prison. His original sentence of 10 months was cut to eight months following an appeal.
"In relation to the reports concerning the alleged 'disappearance of Leon Baptiste' - an English athletics coach reportedly missing in Morocco for more than two months under questionable circumstances - please note that the information published in this regard is inaccurate and does not reflect the facts of the case."
"The foreign national concerned had not lost contact with his surroundings and was not subject to any disappearance or unexplained absence."
"He is currently being held at the local prison in Marrakech, where he is serving a custodial sentence following his conviction by the competent judicial authorities in connection with a misdemeanour case."
The source added that Baptiste was "in good health." A spokesperson for the Morocco Public Prosecution Office independently verified both the sentence and the nature of the offence, stating:
"The British national is currently being held at the local prison in Marrakech, where he is serving a custodial sentence following a court judgment against him in connection with his involvement in a criminal case."
Under Moroccan law, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 18.
UK Response and Personal Circumstances
A UK Foreign Office spokesperson, asked directly about the case, responded: "We are supporting a British national who is detained in Morocco and are in contact with the authorities."
Sources told BBC Sport that Baptiste had travelled to Marrakech accompanied by three other British former athletes, all of whom have since returned home. Attempts to reach those individuals drew no reply. His family are understood to know of his imprisonment.
Disruption to Britain's Sprint Programme
Baptiste's abrupt departure stripped several high-profile British sprinters of their designated coach during a critical preparation window ahead of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and the European Championships in Birmingham. Among those affected were Olympic bronze medallist Charlie Dobson and Paralympic silver medallist Zac Shaw.
Four-time European gold medallist Adam Gemili and relay coach Martyn Rooney moved in to offer supplementary guidance to the athletes left without direction. Nevertheless, BBC Sport has been told that sprint training was severely disrupted during a pivotal phase of their careers, leaving the athletes poorly prepared and visibly frustrated.
BBC Sport has sought comment from UK Athletics on the matter.
How the Story Unfolded
Once media reports of a "disappearance" surfaced last weekend, BBC Sport launched an investigation into Baptiste's location. Reporters reached out to figures across the British athletics community, individuals who knew Baptiste personally, the UK Foreign Office, and officials in Morocco to reconstruct the sequence of events. It rapidly became apparent that his whereabouts were known all along, but his status had been deliberately withheld from those closest to him. When Moroccan authorities were formally asked to confirm details of his case, they obliged. BBC Sport subsequently located the conviction in online court records, and the authorities verified their accuracy.
Related Reading
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Missing Baptiste jailed in Morocco for sexual?Missing Baptiste jailed in Morocco for sexual is the main topic of this guide. The article explains the context, practical details, and next steps readers should understand.
Why does Missing Baptiste jailed in Morocco for sexual matter?Missing Baptiste jailed in Morocco for sexual matters because readers are looking for a useful answer, not just a short summary. Good content should match search intent and help them decide what to do next.