Over 8,000 affected by water supply disruption
Table of Contents
More Than 8,000 Kent Households Hit by Water Supply Failures
Ninoda.com – Across multiple communities in Kent, over 8,000 customers of South East Water have experienced interruptions to their water service. The utility company attributed the widespread disruption to a combination of sustained hot weather, surging demand, recent pipe failures, and overnight electrical faults.
Company Response and Staff Strain
South East Water issued a formal apology to affected residents, cautioning that some households could face several days without reliable supply until consumption levels fall and reservoir capacities recover. Mike Pickard, the firm’s incident support manager, spoke to BBC South East about the scale of the problem.
“It’s an ongoing challenge for us at the moment and we apologise sincerely to all affected customers.”
Pickard conceded the circumstances were “unacceptable” while insisting the organisation was deploying every available resource. He continued:
“Our team is exhausted and being pushed to limits to make sure water is running.”
Jenny Rhodes, another incident manager at the company, advised residents who still had running water to restrict usage to essential purposes only. She also noted that staff and contractors had received abusive treatment from frustrated residents.
“Whilst we fully appreciate the frustrations due the current disruption, we do not tolerate any abuse towards our staff,” Rhodes said. “Our team is working to restore supplies as quickly as possible and deliver water to customers.”
“We fully acknowledge that this level of service is unacceptable, especially during hot weather.”
Area-by-Area Status
In the Wraik Hill district of Whitstable, overnight power problems left roughly 200 properties without full supply. The company stated that restoration was anticipated by Monday morning. Although earlier issues in that zone had been resolved, the associated storage tank was described as “critically low.”
Herne Bay saw supplies restored overnight after Sunday’s outage, yet further difficulties emerged Monday morning as the town’s drinking-water reservoir remained dangerously depleted. The firm said it was attempting to replenish the tank to reinstate flow as rapidly as possible.
In Benenden and neighbouring localities, approximately 400 properties experienced low pressure or complete loss of water following pipe bursts compounded by peak summer demand.
At Blean in Canterbury, a technical malfunction prevented water from being pumped. Engineers were working to correct the fault with urgency.
By approximately 19:00 BST on Monday, the company reported that 800 properties across Charing, Challock, and Molash had regained supply.
Customer Reactions
Frazer Stodart, a resident with eight occupants in his home and no water, voiced his frustration:
“I currently have eight people in the house and no water.”
“I’m slightly annoyed after a large increase in bills – the least they should do is provide water.”
David Ciechanski noted a troubling pattern of recurring outages in the region:
“It is getting a lot more common.”
“We first had it a few months ago and there’s now been one every three or four weeks across east Kent.”
Pickard acknowledged the need for infrastructure investment while noting the limits of short-term remediation:
“We know we need to invest in certain areas and we are, but we can’t do that overnight.”
“I would love to say when all supplies will be back but it is an ongoing, changing picture.”
Government Criticism
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) issued a sharp rebuke, describing the situation as “simply not good enough.” A department spokesperson stated:
“South East Water needs to go further and faster to reduce leaks and follow their drought plans to ensure supplies are not disrupted in even the driest of weather.”
“Their new leadership must now deliver a step change in performance, where customers’ needs are prioritised and there is a stop to supply outages.”
Bottled Water Distribution Points
To ease immediate hardship, bottled water stations were established throughout the affected zones. Locations included:
The Weald Sports Centre, Cranbrook; Challock Village Hall; Sainsbury’s at Altira Business Park, Herne Bay; Kavanagh Cinema, Herne Bay; Wincheap Park and Ride, Canterbury; and Sturry Road Park and Ride, Canterbury.
These stations operated until 22:00 and were scheduled to reopen at 07:00 on Tuesday.
Related Reading
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Over 8 000 affected by water?
Over 8 000 affected by water is the main topic of this guide. The article explains the context, practical details, and next steps readers should understand.
Why does Over 8 000 affected by water matter?
Over 8 000 affected by water matters because readers are looking for a useful answer, not just a short summary. Good content should match search intent and help them decide what to do next.
